Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A new day for America

Like a lot of people, I am relieved that the elections are finally over. It's been a long two years full of twists and turns. I look forward to the top stories of the news being anything but who said what about the other.

Sixteen years ago, I was very involved in the election cycle. As president of the College Republicans in one of the most conservative counties in America, I had a hard time picturing that the world could go on when my candidate lost. There were so many dire predictions about what would happen to this great country because it had been turned over the Bill Clinton and his crowd.

Not that I ever became a fan of Bill Clinton, but somehow our country survived eight years of him. We've also survived eight years of George W. Bush. One of the great things about America is that the political parties really agree on the big picture: a free and united country.

It is not like we are choosing between communism and democracy when we vote. We are choosing between two slightly different versions of the same government. OK, maybe a bit more than "slightly" but if you look at our parties in the scheme of the world, the major differences tend to be social issues that, while very important to a lot of people, aren't nearly as important as the right to vote, assemble, worship as we please and say what we feel without fear.

The founders also set up a government system with checks and balances. One person cannot have all the power and all the say so. And while one party is in control right now, history tells us that will change in the next few years. The American people tend to balance out the power between the parties every few years.

This year, my candidate didn't survive the primaries. I found myself a bit conflicted about the final election. Should I vote for the guy who fought against funding for Salt Lake's Olympic security plan? Should I vote for the guy who looks like my sons? Should I vote for the guy I would most like to sit down and have a conversation with? Should I vote for the person that I thought could be the best leader? Should I vote for the guy that most closely matched my views? Even my sons were divided on the issue with A.J. rooting for McCain because he reminds him of his grumpy grandpa (his words not mine) and Spencer who said "Rock Bama" when I asked him who he wanted for president.

By yesterday, I decided regardless of the outcome I would be excited. Either we would have the first woman vice president, or the first African American president. How amazing is that? And how exciting that so many people felt like they had a voice in this election and actually went to the polls. How can you argue with that. Democracy at work.

And when I heard President-elect Obama's speech last night, I was almost over come with emotion. He said the things that our country needed to hear. He seemed very presidential. His ability to unite our country will be tested in the next several months but I believe it will happen.

And on a very personal level, I love what it means for my boys. As a mom, I want the very best for them and I want them to grow up thinking they can be anything they want to be without any limits. Barack Obama proved that is true for them and for all people who look a different than our founding fathers. This morning I told A.J. that Obama's win means that he can be anything he wants, even president of the United States someday. His response, "I'll get to be the boss!"

It is a new day for America and I can't help but feel optimistic some how. I know there are still tough days ahead with the economy and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan but I believe America is a great country and will overcome the challenges before us. And even if they other guy had won, we still would have.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Wow, Paula. So eloquent. Exactly what I needed to hear this morning as I was trying to wrap my mind around the events of last night. Thanks!