Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Polar Opposites

It's been three weeks and counting since Spencer became part of our family. We still have our good and bad moments but it's a bit less sticky around here. The hardest part right now is that he wants to be around me all the time. If I go downstairs, he follows. If I go upstairs, he follows. If I leave without him, he cries. He wants me to be the one to feed him, change him, play with him, rock him to sleep, etc, etc. It's a bit exhausting and overwhelming at times, but it's an honor to be wanted too.

I know as a mom we aren't suppose to compare our children to each other, but the differences between A.J. in Spencer are so stark, it amazes me. For instance:

- A.J. is right-handed. Spencer is left-handed. The funny thing about that fact was I didn't even notice until we went to the doctor and she asked him to draw a circle for her. He picked the pen up with his left hand and she commented on it. Great, a stranger spends five minutes with my son and notice something about him that I hadn't after a week of living with him.

-A.J. loves to watch TV. Spencer doesn't. A.J. can be a little couch potato. Turn the TV on and he will watch it for hours and still complain when you turn it off. So far, Spencer doesn't care if it's on or off and if it happens to be on, he might watch it for a minute but then he is on to something else. That's good because TV isn't the best for you, but it's bad because it doesn't entertain and distract him so I can get something else done.

-Spencer loves toys. A.J. is mildly entertained by them, sometimes. Spencer can play with the same toy for a long time. He drives a car or a train around and around. He can build Mr. Potato Head over and over again. Or play with duplos forever. Toys have just never held A.J.'s attention for any length of time. He would play with one for a few minutes maybe and then is on to something else (likely TV).

-Spencer is a good eater. A.J. is picky (like me). Spencer will try anything and loves fruits and vegetables. His appetite isn't huge but there isn't much he doesn't eat. A.J. takes after me and has a discriminating palate. Apple Sauce and carrots (with Ranch) are about his extent of fruits and veggies. I know that is probably my fault for not exposing him to more at a younger age.

-A.J. is very verbal. Spencer, not so much. A.J. spoke very early and has talked like a little adult since he was a toddler. Spencer is speech-delayed and hard to understand. We are getting better about figuring out his words, but we need to work with him some more and get him caught up.

- Spencer is agile and fast. A.J., not so much. Spencer is a fire ball of energy. He can outrun us all and can turn on a dime. A.J. is good at running and jumping and all of that, but tends to take after me in the klutzy department. I think part of that is A.J.'s ear issues and the fact that he grows so fast that his coordination can't keep up. I'm sure that will change as he gets older. I think Spencer will be a good soccer player or sprinter.

-Spencer is in the fifth percentile for height. A.J. is in the 97th percentile. Just by looking at them, people are constantly amazed that Spencer is three and even more amazed that A.J. is five.

- Spencer loves to be a big helper boy. A.J., not so much. Spencer generally will pick up his toys, help cook dinner or any other chore I am trying to accomplish. A.J. is happy to just let you do it for him, or whine and complain the whole time he is doing it.

I think all these things have helped me recognize that they are individual people with different likes, dislikes, strengths and weaknesses that make them who they are and love them even more for them. Now if we could just get a bit of the good for both of them to rub off on the other, we'd be golden!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Isn't it interesting how different kids can be? I think that's why families are such a great place to learn those "getting along" skills we need in life. Sounds like you're all doing great!

Jeff and Kayla's Family said...

I am always amazed about how different my children are. Some times it is exausting.