Monday, November 9, 2015

To Blog or Not to Blog: That is the Question

I've been thinking a lot lately about getting back to blogging.  For a few years, I kept a blog for my Stampin' Up! business. On that blog, I felt like I had to keep it to all Stampin' Up! all the time since it catered to that audience.  But my life and interests have been evolving over the past year or so.  (Who am I kidding? They are always evolving.  That's life, right?)

It got me thinking about this blog and about what I'd want to share I did start blogging again: Who am I really?  Do I have to be tied to just one topic on a blog?  Would others really care about what I have to share about mostly random things?  Does it really matter if they don't?

While I don't know the answers to these questions yet, I do have the beginnings of a plan for what I want this blog to be.  I want it to represent the randomness that is my life these days and who I am as a person and how that forms my outlook on the world:

I'm a Christian and a Mormon.  These two things are not mutually exclusive and they are who I am at my core.  I promise not to get too preachy here, but my beliefs do color my interpretation of the world and I might on occasion share something I'm thinking about that reflects these things.

I'm a Mother and a Wife.  And more than that, I'm a mom to two boys who arrived in our family through adoption and came with their own package of special needs.  While being a mom to any child is tough, every day is a crash course in social work, psychology, and psychiatry when you have boys like mine. This is very personal to me but I also want others to know they are not alone in this adventure.

I'm a Homemaker.  It's my full time occupation right now and there will be recipes shared and household musings. And if there is a product that makes my life easier, than you can count on me telling you about it.

I'm a Crafter.  This maybe the thing that shocks me the most.  I spent many years considering myself a craft reject. But I've discovered that as long as I keep painting or sewing out of it, I'm fairly capable.  I still enjoy paper crafting, but lately I've been branching out into other things.  And whoa, Nelly! I go a little overboard with all of this at the Holidays so I'm sure I'll have plenty to show and tell in the coming days and weeks about that.

I'm a Runner.  Or at least I was a runner until I developed a serious case of tendinitis in September.  But I hope to get back to it one day sooner than later because I had just gotten to the point of understanding why people torture their body in this way.  And I lied about the crafter thing being the biggest surprise of my life.  Being a runner is infinitely more shocking.  So it might come up from time to time.

I'm a Traveler.  The only time I feel like a normal family is when we are out exploring the world.  It is my therapy and my happy place. I have a goal to visit all 50 states by time my kids are out of the house.  I love a good road trip, all destinations Disney and anything historical or scenic. 

I'm a Political Junkie. What this means for my blog?  Probably not much because I've also learned as I've gotten older that if you and I have strong, different opinions about something, no matter what I say, I'm unlikely to change your opinion on it.  I promise that if I ever do post something about my political junkiness, I will try my best to keep it respectful and thoughtful and not emotional.  So if you disagree with me, that is 100% OK.  However, I do expect others to be as respectful and thoughtful as well and comments will be moderated.


I'm an aspiring amateur photographer.  But notice no capital letters there.  Don't get your hopes up for fabulous pictures of everything I share here because while I love my Canon DSLR, I still have a long way to go in this department. I'll do my best. 

What else?  I love to laugh and can be a little snarky at times.  So if there is more than one way of interpreting what I am writing, assume that I meant it to be funny.  And as my life continues to evolve, I'm sure this blog will as well.  And if no one shows up to read it, it might not make it that far. 

7 comments:

Peggy said...

I'm looking forward to following your blog!

Ellie said...

I love blogging! I've learned that for the most part the reason I do is not just cause it's my mini way of income but it's almost like a little diary for me of sorts and I get to look back and see how far I've come in anything I would have started so GO for it darling! I also look forward to reading your future posts!

Kathy said...

Please do write! I I love your writing style and hearing about your life experiences

Mickey Roberts said...

Can[t wait to see what trips your trigger on your blog, Paula! I've missed you in the blog-o-sphere.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to read what you post. I look forward to reading about the rest of your life, the part that makes you "you". May this be an incredible journey of another kind for you <3

Angie (fingers inky girl) said...

As one of your biggest fans, you know I am behind this 100%!! Can't wait to read what random musings come to you my friend!!

Darrington's said...

Welcome back! I'm glad you'll be adding to your blog again. Can't wait to read about life, happenings, etc! Love you all!