Sunday, December 7, 2008

Believe

Yesterday morning was our ward Christmas party. This year's theme was "Believe" and was based on the Christmas book and movie "The Polar Express." My neighbor Jen is the activity chair and since I drag her along on a lot of my adventures, I went a long for a ride on this one with her. Whatever she needed, I tried to help as best I could.

A lot of people come out of the woodwork for these things and there were more people than expected. A food shortage quickly became apparent and several of us started scrambling to figure out how to feed a few more people (and more than just eggs). I found my friend Teri and asked if Spencer could sit with her while I ran home to get some more sausage.

In the mean time, the Polar Express arrived at the North Pole and Santa appeared. While I was in the kitchen cooking sausage, Spencer came in to show me the new trinket he received from Santa. I couldn't believe I had missed it. My new son's first visit with Santa and I missed it. I heard from several people that he was really cute and answered all of Santa's questions and called him, "Ho, Ho, Ho." It is one of those moments you'll just never get back.

A felt a little bad about it, but when A.J. went up to see Santa, I brought Spencer a long too so I could get a picture of the two of them together on Santa's lap. Here is the result:


A member of our bishopric, Ron Stagg, wrote this little message that was put on the tables about believing that really sums up what Christmas is all about:

"At Christmas time there are many things to believe in. We believe in family, in traditions, in gifts, in yummy food, and even in Santa Claus, but our true beliefs must be anchored in our faith in Christ. This is the true reason for Christmas: to celebrate, to remember and to believe in the miracle of Jesus Christ.

Believe in the prophecies that foretold His life.

Believe in the marvelous events surrounding His birth.

Believe in the countless miracles He performed.

Believe in the truthfulness of His teachings.

Believe in the life that He willingly surrendered.

Believe in the salvation that He gives.

Believe. . ."

2 comments:

Kathy said...

What a beautiful thought. Thanks for sharing with us. It was also fun to read your story of Santa and your boys. It's so fun to watch our kids in these moments.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully said. Sorry you missed Spencer's moment. I am sure there will be many, many more happy moments to treasure.