Thursday, December 18, 2008

Better Days

I love all kinds of Christmas music. I love the traditional Christmas hymns we sing in church this time of year, "Silent Night," "Away in a Manger," and "Joy to the World." I love the crooners singing "White Christmas" and "Chestnuts Roasting on an open fire." It just isn't Christmas for me until I here the Carpenters sing "Merry Christmas Darling," Wham sing "Last Christmas" and Band Aid sing "Do They Know It's Christmas Time."

But the last few years, a new favorite as emerged: The Goo Goo Doll's "Better Days." Here are just a few of the lyrics:

"And you ask me what I want this year
And I try to make this kind and clear
Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days
Cuz I don't need boxes wrapped in strings
And desire and love and empty things
Just a chance that maybe we'll find better days

So take these words
And sing out loud
Cuz everyone is forgiven now
Cuz tonight's the night the world begins again
."

2008 has been a rough year for so many people I care so much about. In my family, we've had deaths, a cancer diagnosis, a heart attack, major surgery, failed classes, tough economic times, struggles with our children, etc, etc. Among my friends, more deaths of loved ones, more cancer, more health troubles, financial troubles, marital troubles, etc.

Every time I hear this song, I think of all of these people, all of you. What better wish could I offer any of you than the chance that maybe we'll find better days. (I know I could use a whole lot of better days.)

So that is my holiday wish for all of you: may 2009 be full of better days for all of us.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

These are such great words, Paula. I know what a year this has been for you! I'm only here in the background, but I'm cheering for you and yours every day! I hope next year is a GREAT year at your home.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous sentiments Paula. I have never heard that song, but will have to look it up now.
Merry Christmas to you and yours!
May 2009 be full of wonderous things for you.

Amy said...

Your words really touched my heart today. Thank you for the reminder. And I know your days will just get better and better. Your love for your boys (and dh!) will carry you through.